At Old Orchard, we are always pleased to receive resumes and cover letters from talented, enthusiastic and energetic people. We keep materials on file for at least six months. We do review them as they come in and again when we have an opening. You are welcome and encouraged to update your resume or letter at any time.
How to apply
- Submit a current resume and a cover letter telling us a bit about your experience as a teacher or school employee and your goals for the future.
- Submissions with thoughtful and well-composed letters will be given more serious consideration. We are a school and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively is important to us.
- Resumes, cover letters and other materials should be submitted via email only. They should be sent as attachments in either PDF or Word formats, only.
- Do not send applications via FAX or regular mail; and please, no calls.
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the candidate passing a confidential state and federal criminal background check.
Where to apply
Submit materials via email to the attention of the head of school. Again, materials should be Word or PDF documents only.
Whom do we hire?
Smart, inquisitive, energetic and collaborative professionals with stellar references, a proven talent for successfully working with young people, and the ability to get along well and communicate effectively with co-workers, students and parents. Feel free to share any special interests or talents you may have.
Applicants should have substantial experience teaching the subject or grade level of interest. A credential or master's degree in a relevant subject is strongly preferred, as is prior experience working in a private school environment. First-rate professional references are essential.
Teachers of all subjects should be very comfortable working with computers and technology as instructional tools in the classroom and they should be very comfortable using technology as a means of communicating effectively and appropriately with parents, students, colleagues and the school administration.
Above all, applicants should have a well-documented ability to connect with kids, to earn the trust and inspire the eagerness that allows each student to do his or her best every day; they should also be ready to proactively identify and constructively cope with obstacles - academic or social - when they arise.
Old Orchard's office staffers variously manage databases and calendars, dispense Band-Aids, keep records, and help students, parents and teachers resolve daily concerns. They must be unusually well-organized, flexible and unflappable people who are able to think on their feet and to exercise sound judgement and common sense with tact and discretion. They must also be able to cope with regular interruptions throughout the day without losing sight of their formal responsibilities.
To do all of this successfully, they must enjoy working with people of all ages and backgrounds - especially students. They must have excellent computer skills and be able to express themselves clearly and appropriately in writing, on the phone and in person.
Salary and Benefits
- Compensation is based on experience, responsibilities and length of service.
- Medical, dental and vision benefits are available to all employees working 30 or more hours per week.
- Part- and full-time employees are eligible to enroll in a 401(k) retirement plan after their first full year of service.
We genuinely appreciate the energy and time required to prepare materials for our attention. Looking for the perfect job, especially in education, is not an easy task. We regret that we cannot respond to every submission; we simply receive too many to issue a thoughtful response to each. Please be assured that when we do have openings, we always consult our database of resumes and letters.
Old Orchard School is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age or marital status.