Candidate Forms will be available in the front office on Monday, Sept 16
Serving on Student Council is a great way to get involved in the school community and bring your great ideas — and those of your classmates — to life. Serving on the council is a commitment. First you campaign for office, which includes writing and delivering a campaign speech to the Upper School student body.
If you are elected, there are weekly meetings, and some work supporting events that you and the rest of the council sponsor. But it's also fun. You will have a voice in deciding themes for Spirit Week and dances, which charities the council wishes to support, and more.
Here's what you need to know to get started. If you have any questions, ask faculty/staff advisors Ellen Koomen, Kristin Wright or Jaimee. Burch. You will find Student Council Guidelines here, and the Candidate Forms you need to run for office here. Be sure you make note of the various deadlines!
- Who is eligible to run for office? Upper School students who are able — and willing! — to commit to weekly meetings, and to support Student Council activities including dances, Spirit Week and more. Students are asked to sign a commitment agreement, and to have parents and teachers endorse their candidacy. Detailed information, including candidate sign up forms, is available in the US office and here.
- What are the different offices? President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer, plus two student representatives each from GRs 6, 7 & 8. The president must be from GR8 AND have served previously on student council.
- How do I get started? Complete and submit the candidate sign up form to the office by Monday, September 23, along with parent and teacher signatures. You will need to give a campaign speech, and bring your draft speech to Ms. Koomen by 8:10 am on Tuesday, September 24.
Here is the election timeline:
- Candidate sign-up forms are due no later than Monday, September 23.
- Draft candidate speeches are due to Ms. Koomen no later than 8:10 am on Tuesday, September 24.
- Campaigning will be Wednesday & Thursday, September 25 and 26.
- Candidate speeches will be delivered Thursday, 26.
- Elections will beheld on Friday, Sept 27.
Good Luck to All our Candidates!