Welcome New Families!
We are so excited to formally welcome you and your family to the Old Orchard community and look forward to learning and growing with you for many years to come. This is an exciting time for you (and for us!) so we have compiled some important resources below to help you prepare for the year ahead. We are here to guide you every step of the way so please do not hesitate to contact us if you are curious or confused about anything.
Our last day of school is Thursday, June 11. We have a small staff on campus throughout the summer months. Should you need to contact us, we can be reached at: (408) 378-5935 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Again, welcome to the Old Orchard community, we can't wait to get to know you!
Bonnie Weston, Head of School
Linda Hayer, Assistant Head of School
- Virtual Coffee Meet other new families and spend time with the Old Orchard Leadership Team who will share how we navigated distance learning this spring and how we are approaching and planning for the year ahead. Invites and registration details were sent via email. If you did not receive an invite, please contact email@example.com.
- GRs 6-8: Tuesday, June 16 @ 9:00 am
- JrK & K: Wednesday, June 17 @ 9:00 am
- GRs 1-5, Wednesday, June 17 @ 11:00 am
- New Family Meet & Greet A casual, fun afternoon gathering! Explore campus, meet teachers, families and classmates ahead of the first day of school. (Note: if we are unable to meet in person, we will take the event virtual so please continue to save the date!)
- Thursday, August 20, 4:30-5:30 pm
Enrollment Checklist Make sure to double check the Admission & Enrollment Portal to ensure you have submitted all required forms and records.
- Note Re: Immunization Records & TB Risk Form We realize it may be difficult to schedule appointments at this time so we are extending the due date to August 7. If you have questions about these forms, please contact Lower School Office Administrator Colleen Altendorf (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Upper School Office Administrator Kristin Wright (email@example.com). You will find a copy of the TB Risk Assessment Form here.
Year-at-a-Glance Calendar The Year-at-a-Glance Calendar highlights school breaks, holidays and other notable events throughout the year such as parent teacher conferences, picture day, and more. We will continue to revisit and review the school calendar as health guidelines and requirements evolve. Please be advised, we may need to reschedule or reimagine planned dates and activities. We know how important scheduling is to our families and will keep you informed of any changes as they occur.
Uniform Requirements & School Dress Code Old Orchard students wear uniforms on a daily basis in Kindergarten (K2) through 8th Grade. Jr. Kindergarteners (K1) do not wear uniforms; they should follow the guidelines for free dress. Our Uniform Requirement and School Dress Code aims to foster a sense of community and to create a positive learning environment, as well as to help students dress appropriately and comfortably for school each day with minimal fuss.
- Purchasing Uniforms: All uniform pieces should be purchased from Merry Mart. Additional information and OOS specific details for Merry Mart can be found here.
- Summer Sale runs June 15-30. Receive 20% of your entire purchase!
: Below you will find supply lists by grade level. If you have questions about your student's supply list, you may contact office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Summer Reading Old Orchard students entering Grades 4-8 are asked to complete a short summer reading assignment each year. Students have the entire summer to complete the assignment. You will find details about this year's summer reading assignment here:
Grade Level Email Groups New students enjoy meeting current students before school begins. The Grade Level Email Groups document will provide you with a list of grade-level email aliases or groups which you may use to contact all families in your grade, along with guidelines on appropriate use of these addresses. New family’s email addresses will be added to these lists as of July 1.
Hot Lunch Service In partnership with My Green Lunch we offer hot lunch service 5 days a week across all grades. Meals are prepared fresh from scratch each morning and include a wide variety of options including gluten free, nut free, dairy free, vegetarian, and vegan options. Ahead of the start of school you may create an account for your family by clicking on “Order Now” on the top right of the My Green Lunch homepage.
News & Notes Each week you will receive News & Notes, our school-wide, e-newsletter packed with information about the coming week as well as photos and highlights from the previous week. News and Notes is distributed via email on Sunday evenings. The first regular issue for the 2020-21 school year will be sent shortly before school begins.
Old Orchard Service League The Old Orchard Service League (OOSL), a 501c3 nonprofit organization founded and led by Old Orchard parent volunteers, organizes community events and raises funds for enrichment programs across all grades. Meetings are held the first Friday of each month in Nelson Hall at the Lower School. All Old Orchard parents are welcome to attend meetings to learn more about the organization, hear what they have planned for the year, and offer suggestions. OOSL is always looking for parents able to support its activities with volunteer opportunities to suit every schedule. If you are interested in learning more or getting involved, reach out to email@example.com.
Referral Award Program Great word of mouth brings many new families to Old Orchard. When we ask visiting parents how they found us, they almost always tell us that someone – a neighbor, a family friend, or a co-worker – told them what a great school their children attend. We genuinely appreciate your support and we have a Referral Award Program to ensure that we thank you in a meaningful way.
Common Shorthand To help ease your transition, we have gathered together common abbreviations you may see in our printed materials.
- K1 = Jr. Kindergarten
- K2 = Kindergarten
- LS = Lower School (K1-5th Grade)
- US = Upper School (Grades 6-8)
- OOS = Old Orchard School
- OOSL = Old Orchard Service League (our parent run service league)
- CCC = Campbell Community Center (home to the Upper School Campus)